Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Inspirations.


Do you ever think of the things that inspire you?

Lately I have been thinking a lot about what/ who has inspired me, and led me to where I am today, here in Spain and before I came to Spain...

Working our way back in time with people/things that have stuck some inspiration in me.
I'll start with some of the newer events.

Exhibit A

Meet Juan.
This Spaniard literally is the reason why Meredith and I bought rollerskates.
I know it sounds silly, but hear me out.

We saw him on one of our first visits to Retiro Park back in February.
Up until a week ago we had never met him, but only admired his free spiriting roller-dancing skills from afar.
I was unfair to judge Juan. I suspected that he was on drugs...because honestly you would have to be in order to dance around on rollerskates in public, right?

Wrong.

When we finally met Juan last week he was very polite and even tried to speak to us (Meredith, her brother Ford, and Me) in English. He was suprisingly more coherent then I thought an average roller-dancer would be, and even expressed his knowledge of American music artists...The Dixie Chicks. 
Juan stated that he loves all types of "good music" and enjoys being able to make "big free movements".
Juan is an inspiration because he exudes happiness and truly loves life. A trait that most of us try very hard to live by, but instead let daily struggles fog our hearts; focusing more on the uglier qualities of life rather than the beauty of it all.

Exhibit B
Photograph by Jacque Henri Lartigue

In Madrid there is a museum called CaixaForum.
They hold temporary exhibits at this museum, and just recently I came across the photography of Jacque Henri Lartigue.

He was a french photographer and painter born in 1894 and died in 1986.
He took over 200,000 photos throughout his life. He also kept a journal from the time he was a boy.
Even though Lartigue's photographs were absolutely stunning, it was his point of view on life that really drew me in.

His aim was to capture real happiness and beauty within a single shot. Not only was he able to do so, but it was evident that he was also able to live his life this way.
Some of the quotes from the exhibit were "I was born happy, that helps, doesn't it?" and "Humour is for the spirit what sport is for the body: a way to break free of the limitations imposed by social conventions, routines, and paralysis". He even had a journal titled "Reasons why I am Happy".

For whatever reason both of these men stuck out to me. More then likely due to the fact that happiness seems to be their life motto.

Now, throughout my years in schooling I've had some tremendous teachers.
But there are two that are constantly on my mind and that I admire for many different reasons.

The first being a professor I had for three seperate classes at OSU. Yes, I said seperate. I loved her teaching method so much, that I made sure to fit my schedule around the classes she taught.
Name: Monica Bein.
This woman not only is a brilliant teacher, but a top notch Speeach-Language Pathologist.
If it weren't for her, I would of changed my degree in my early years of college.
She was very passionate about her students and put a lot of effort into teaching. She was always coming up with creative ways to teach the material and kept the class interested. For example, in her anatomy class we used playdoh, pipe cleaners, and various foods and candies to learn.
On top of being a teacher and a SLP, she wrote a book called Teaching Speech the Fun Way!  
I only hope to be as half as wonderful as her.
Oh...She is also one of the reasons I want to learn sign language when I return home.

The other being a high school art teacher.
Name: Angel Porch.
This woman is talented beyond belief.
She holds many different titles such as a painter, photographer, artist, friend, wife, and mother. But for me she is also a role model.
Every time I think of her, all I can see is her smiling face and words of encouragement.
Since going to college I have not been very good at keeping in contact with her, but nonetheless she has had an impact on my life.
What I wouldn't give to be in the crafty creative mind of Mrs. Porch for a day.
Her family is currently in the process of adopting from Ethiopia!
If you would like to help support the adoption for her and her family, then you can follow her on her blog...

And now on to the most significant inspirations in my life.
Family & Friends.
Of course there are the obvious people...

My Parents- because they both had to put up with raising FOUR children. I'm still unsure how they did it. My mother has an amazing talent and capability to juggle a 100 different tasks and prevail in every single one. My father is logical and sticks to reason. His capability to remain calm and collective has and always will be something to be admired.

My siblings- Even though we are all very similiar we are all very unique. Aimee is the oldest of the four, strong, a good listener, and can always provide comedic relief. I always wanted to be just like my older sister, and I still look up to her. Chris is the younger below me. He is ambitious, a hopeless romantic, loves to stand out, and up for any challenge. Brenna is the youngest of the four, loyal to the ones she loves, blunt and honest when she needs to be, and an amazing athlete.

And my Grandmothers
Agnus, who has a heart of gold. (Right)
&
Beulah, who is a pure ray of sunshine. (Left)
These are two of the STRONGEST little ladies you'd ever meet.
Both have struggled with the loss of their spouses. A difficult task for anyone to go through.
They hold a very strong relationship with God and inspire me to have just as strong of a relationship with Christ.
 They always, always have the best intentions with others in mind.
They inspire me in more ways than one.

As far as my extended family and my friends go. I hold a high opinion for everyone. But my family is quite large and I have quite the list of friends. Listing out what I value in them all would mean this blog would never end. But I plan on telling you all exactly how I feel one way or another. Maybe not in a blog, but in one form or another you will know.

Other inspirations and creative minds/things that make my heart smile...
Dr. Suess
Mother Teresa
JK Rowling (I like to read because of her)
and anything found on Etsy, or having to do with Picnik.

Well, that is enough rambling from me.

Maybe one day I will inspire someone too,
Kimee Paige

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory."  - Betty Smith






No comments:

Post a Comment